This vegan lasagna is an easy healthy dinner and has a ton of hidden veggies inside.
I can't believe I'm just blogging about this at 9:30pm--long day at work, then a workout, grocery shopping, then cooking. Whoah! I haven't even showered yet (don't judge). But I guess that's the life of a vegan wife, and I'm loving every minute. A glass of red wine is a must tonight!
I used a 12 x 9 dish and it's perfect for my husband and I...and a little bit for Moose and Louie.
The Printer Friendly Version
- 1/2 portion of Tofu Ricotta (click for recipe)
-1/2 cup of Nutritional Yeast (add to tofu ricotta portion)
-1 jar of organic tomato sauce*
-1/2 red pepper*
-1/2 red onion*
-1/2 an eggplant
-4 tablespoons of olive oil
-3 tablespoons of garlic
-2 tablespoons of fresh basil, chopped
-1/2 box of lasagna (check the label to make sure the noodles are made with semolina flour and have no egg nor milk ingredients)
Wifestyle Touch: I must admit I can be picky at times when it comes to veggies, so I puree a bunch along with the sauce and can't even taste it!
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Fill a large pot with water, add 2 teaspoons of salt and wait until boiling
2. Add lasagna and cook for 5-6 minutes (until al dente), place in strainer and add a little olive oil to prevent sticking
3. Heat up a large skillet with the olive oil
4. Once heated, add garlic and allow to brown (2 minutes) then add basil
5. Slice eggplant into 1/2 inch rounds (6 to 7) and place on skillet, then cook until brown flipping them twice with a spatula
6. For sauce combine organic tomato sauce, onion and the red pepper in a blend and liquefy (if you prefer it to be less thick add a little vegetable broth)
7.. In a 12 x 9 glass baking dish layer in this order--sauce, noodles, tofu ricotta, sauce, eggplant, noodles, tofu ricotta until all layers are complete
8. Top with noodles and more sauce then cover dish with tin foil and place in oven for 30 minutes--once it's bubbling, sprinkle some shredded cheese on top and you're done!