Happy Wednesday! I made these vegetarian tacos for my husband and I last night. Mmmmm and it only took about 30 minutes. Mucho delicioso!
-8 oz organic vegetable broth
-1 can organic black beans (15 oz.)
-1 can organic pinto beans (15 oz)
-Salt and pepper, as needed
-1 tbsp garlic powder
-1 jalapeno, diced
-1/2 red pepper, sliced into strips
-1/2 green pepper, sliced into strips
-1/2 red onion, sliced into strips
-1/2 tomato, diced
-2 tbsp of vegetable oil
-2 cups of lettuce, chopped
-1 lime, sliced into quarters
-1 packet of taco seasoning
-2 cups of fresh corn (I used corn on the cob and stripped of the corn)
-10 flour or corn tortillas (check the label!)
-taco sauce, as needed
-vegan cheddar cheese (Veggie Brand)
1. Open both cans of beans and drain the excess water inside, add to a saucepan. Add the vegetable broth, salt, pepper, garlic powder, 1/2 taco seasoning, and the jalapeno to the pot, cover and cook at medium heat. While that is cooking....
2. Heat up a large skillet, add 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil, and once heated add the peppers and onions (feel free to add mushrooms too or anything you want)
3. Add 1/2 the packet of taco seasoning to the veggies once they start to turn brown
4. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place tortillas on a non stick pan, grate 1 tablespoon of vegan cheese on each, and place in oven until lightly toasted (3 minutes)
5. Once the beans have cooked, uncover and use a hand masher to mash the beans slightly until they look like refried beans. Some of the skins should still be showing.
6. Remove tortillas and top with veggies, beans, lettuce, tomatoes, corn and taco sauce. Squeeze one quarter of a lime on top and you're done!